Table of Contents
“Visual Studio is an integrated development environment (IDE) from Microsoft. It is used to develop computer programs for Microsoft Windows, as well as web sites, web applications, and web services. Visual Studio uses Microsoft software development platforms such as Windows API, Windows Forms, Windows Presentation Foundation, Windows Store and Microsoft Silverlight. It can produce both native code and managed code.” ~ Wikipedia
Microsoft Virtual Academy (MVA) offers 174 different courses on Visual Studio, corresponding with its different versions and variations:
- Visual Studio – 9 courses
- Visual Studio 2010 – 2 courses
- Visual Studio 2012 – 34 courses
- Visual Studio 2013 – 125 courses
- Visual Studio 2015 – 3 courses
- Visual Studio.NET – 1 course
The latest version of Visual Studio (Visual Studio 2015) was released in July, 2015, and an updated version (Visual Studio Update 1 RC) was released in October, 2015.
There are three MVA courses available in Visual Studio 2015: Creating Dynamic Webpages with Knockout, Mastering Node.js Modules and Packages with Visual Studio Code, and Using Node.js with Visual Studio Code.
Course Review: Visual Basic (VB) Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners
One very popular course is Visual Basic (VB) Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners, instructed by Bob Tabor. This course teaches the core concept of VB, which can be applied to games, mobile environments, and client applications. Acquiring the right tools, writing code, debugging features, creating customizations, and more – this is all in this introductory VB course.
The topics covered in this course are:
- Creating Your First Visual Basic Program
- Dissecting the First Visual Basic Program You Created
- Quick Overview of the Visual Basic Express Edition IDE
- Declaring Variables and Assigning Values
- Branching with the If . . . Then . . . Else Decision Statement
- Operators, Expressions, and Statements
- for . . . Next Iterations
- Creating Arrays of Values
- Creating and Calling Simple Overloaded Helper Methods
- while Iterations and Reading Data from a Text File
- Working with Strings
- Working with Dates
- Understanding and Creating Classes
- More About Classes and Methods
- Working with Classes and Inheritances in the .NET Framework Class Library
- Understanding Namespaces and Adding References to Assemblies
- Understanding Modules, Scope, and Utilizing Accessibility Modifiers
- Enumerations and the switch Decision Statement
- Gracefully Handling Exceptions
- Working with Collections
- Filtering and Managing Data in Collections Using LINQ
- Understanding Event-Driven Programming
- Getting Familiar with the My Namespace
- Next Steps
There are no prerequisites for enrolling in this course. It is categorized as a Level 100, runs approximately 10 hours, and includes 26 modules, 22 assessment exams. It is worth 116 points. Explore the benefits of using VB with Bob Tabor.
Tabor is a .NET and C# developer, a Channel9 / MVA contributor, and the founder of LearnVisualStudio.NET. He is an author and entrepreneur, with a 12-year history of experience and success.
Course Review: Introduction to jQuery
The topics covered in this course are:
- Intro to jQuery
- Manipulating the DOM
- Ajax and Async
- Additional Libraries
- Recommended Resources & Next Steps
Appel is a software engineer and independent consultant, with a focus on web technologies, and ASP.NET. She is a speaker, author, mentor, coder, and blogger with 20+ years of experience. She works closely with Microsoft as an ASPInsider and IE userAgent.
Foster is a Developer Evangelist for Microsoft, with a focus on web platforms, Windows apps, and Azure. He is an author, presenter, coder, and blogger. Fun fact: Foster enjoys hiking and sailing!
Visual Studio offers developers a world of options and opportunities. With every new edition that is released, newer and more advanced features are made available to designers and coders. Using these tools, there is no limit to what IT professionals can do. In a word – empowerment. That is what Visual Studio does. From start to finish, it is an essential tool for those seeking to take their knowledge and creativity to the next level. MVA offers a variety of tutorials and training videos, hosted and presented by the best of the best in the industry. Whether you are a seasoned developer or a novice. Let MVA be your guide in the next step of your career!